WHFRP

Forumpje voor de campagne van Frank
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 
 

 CHAPTER 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: CHAPTER 1   Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 am

The arrival
You have travelled far, entering a territory of mountains and hills, forests, and ancient paths. As you near your destination, an oppressive veil descends as the sky becomes dim. The stagecoach you hired approaches an old stone building with a belfry and enormous arched wooden front doors, whose scrollwork tells tales of horror and redemption. The coach rolls to a stop and you exit to stand before the Church of the Crossroads. The church is an age-old monument and gateway to this ancient mountainous territory. As you near the wooden doors to head inside, you hear the sounds of a struggle from within.
Entering the church, you see an old curator cowering at the hands of highwaymen. The highwaymen are ragged and filthy. With the dangerous edge of the desperate, the demand food and valuables.


Skill Check - SPEECH 8 - Any one character
Reinhairt  (SPEECH +1) takes a step forward and launches a rousing speech about the abilities of group that just arrived in the abandoned part of the world in order to try to convince the highwayman to leave peacefully.
--> roll of 10 => +1 from SPEECH skill = 11 SUCCESS

You exert control and ask them to leave. They realize that the curator is not easy pickings and decide to take their trouble elsewhere. Gain a Boon.
Boon for Reinhart: "Receive an extra attack"

The curator thanks you for driving the brigands away and for saving the church from being burglarized. He explains that this area has begun to attract an unsavory element, but that there are calamities far worse to the North.
He says, "The Priest received this a few days ago. He left immediately to investigate!" Without warning, he lifts a covering from a table, revealing a bloody mass of fur and flesh.



Story skill check. NERVE 4 - All characters
Nicephorus: 1 (+2 from skill) = FAILURE, Your stomach lurches at the sight and smell of the dead creature. You realize that this is not a corpse of some ordinary animal. Unable to contain yourself, you throw up what is left of your last meal and lose 2 Vita.
Arne: 2 (+2 from skill) = SUCCESS You steady yourself against the revolting sight. You become centered and recover 1 Vita.
Jerome: 9 = SUCCESS You steady yourself against the revolting sight. You become centered and recover 1 Vita.
Reinhart: 10 = SUCCESS You steady yourself against the revolting sight. You become centered and recover 1 Vita.

After recovering from the shock of such a disgusting sight, you examine it more closely… it seems unnatural. The curator explains, "Wolves have been seen devouring people in the North. A group of Ostelink hunters tracked this one down, but no matter how many arrows and spear tips pierced its flesh, it would not stop moving. They brought it to the Alchemist first, believing it was bewitched by some evil curse. Its form shifted and changed periodically in startling phases… it only stopped after that stone was removed from its stomach". He points to a small pebble encased in glass on a pedestal near the table. "Neither the Priest nor Alchemist know what it is, but they fear it is related to the source of the trouble in the North."
"Go to Ostelink to seek out the missing Priest, and inquire of the people where they found this creature. It is of dire importance that you find the Wolf-beast's lair. Here are a few coints to help you with your journey. You are welcome to rummage through our cellar and see if you can find something useful to take with your. Return with news when you have found our Priest.


--> Each character receives 1 coin from the curator. Draw 2 Items cards to find out what you discovered in the church's cellar.
- Zigura's Crystal: +2 Max Power Points, MYTHOS keyword required, 30 coints --> nobody has this… :-( Jerome receives it and will sell it later.
- Rajput Flying Disc: THROWN. D4 + 1 damage. 1 Hand, ranged weapon. 25 coins --> Reinhart will use this.

Outside, you board the waiting stagecoach, which hastens your journey to the village of Ostlink.





Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:32 pm

World Map Transit from the Church of the Crossroads to Ostelink.

Day 1: Leader Arne
Road Event Daytime: "Shortcut"
We were told of a shortcut that would speed our journey through the land.
Keep this card and discard it on a future turn to avoid drawing a Road event card.


Night 1: Leader Nicephorus
We arrive in the town of Waylin Point --> 2 services per visit

Jerome sells his Zigura's Crystal for 15 coints (Barter at the market)
Nicephorus heals 2 Vita at the Physician (stitches, 2 coins

Day 2: Leader Jerome
Road Event Daytime: "Undertaker"
We travelled by a small roadside graveyard. An old man, busily digging new graves, noticed us. His hands were blistered and he asked us for a set of bandages.

One character may discard a Bandage to receive 8 Lore. Otherwise he becomes angered and the group must skirmish with the Undertaker. --> Reinhart gives his Bandages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Night 2: Leader Reinhart
Road Event Nighttime cancelled with the shortcut card.

Day 3: Leader Arne
Road Event Daytime: "Calamity"
The flooding darkness overwhelmed the morale of the land's inhabitants, causing them to retreat to safety of their homes.

Town services are not available in any town until the start of the next chapter, except for the Physician and Gypsy Encampment.

Night 3: Leader Nicephorus
We arrive at the town of Yorotrusk.

Day 4: Leader Jerome
Road Event Daytime: "Hard Travel"
Weather conditions caused the road to become difficult to travel.

Receive -1 Stride on the World Map until the start of the next chapter.

Night 4: Leader Reinhart
Road Event Nighttime: "Felusha stone"
We passed a garden of rocks that seemed to glow faintly green. It was decided that taking one of the interesting stones would cause no harm.

The Leader must pass AWARENESS 8 to find a Felusha Stone. This card to symbolizes the stone. Discard it at the Standing Stones to remove one Tarot card for free.
Reinhart rolls an 8. (no modifiers)

Day 5: Leader Arne
We arrive at the town of Ostelink.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 pm

Ostelink's Ailment

In Ostelink, the streets are deserted with the exception of an occasional townsperson hurrying home or a drunk vagabond asleep in the alley. The few villagers you see, scurrying on their way pause only to regard you with cautious stares. You raise your arm and call out a friendly greeting, time and again with only quickly averted eyes as a response. It does not take much to sense that something is wrong.

You catch sight of a street urchin eying you from a side alley. Unlike the rest, it seems her curiosity is winning over her caution. You wave her over and she hesitantly approaches. When you ask her about the town and why everyone seems afraid, she looks nervous and says, "May people are worried because of the strange things that are happening. It is worse in the countryside and a lot of the farm folk have come into town. The inn is completely sold out."

You ask the girl what she knows about wolves and the Priest. For a moment she feigns ignorance, but after a bribe of food she tells you about the many recent wolf sightings. She warns that some claimed that the wolves seem to 'change' in the moonlight. With a full mouth the urchin says she knows nothing of a visiting Priest, but that you might be abel to find out more answers at the inn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Choice: Will you give the urchin some spare change?

Reinhart decides that he will.
One character may give the street urchin a coin, if you have one. The character to do so must read Story Moment 25 on pg 46.

As thanks, you toss a coin to the filthy child who catches it mid-air and makes the shiny disappear quick as a blink. She turns to go, but then pauses to say, "I know one more thing. The wolves like to hide in tall grass, ambushing their prey. Be careful."

Gain the BLUE Story Marker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:10 pm

True to the urchin's words, the inn is bursting with people and heated conversation. Most of the patrons look to be farmers, with the occasional merchant in the crowd.
The room goes quiet as you enter and you sense that you are not welcome.
The innkeeper speaks, "What is your business here?"
You tell the crowd that you are looking for information, specifically about the missing Priest and strange wolves that have been giving the town trouble.
The innkeeper growls, "We don't know anything about a priest, and we can take care of a few wolves without any help from the likes of you."
His words are fierce, but you notice several of the patrons look uncertain.
Ignoring the others' uncertainty, he continues, "We have no rooms here. You can have a drink but afterwards, I suggest you move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 pm

Story skill check Trickery 7 - A Random Character --> Reinhart…
Roll of 1 (no modifiers)… --> FAILURE

As you stick around, attempting to gather any information from the crowd, it is apparent that not everyone is happy with you being there. A bottle flies through the air, right at you.
FAILURE: The bottle strikes you in the head. That hurt! Lose 2 Vita.

Choice: The assault by the crowd has upset you! They are gaining confidence having made the first move. They are now getting ready for a good old fashioned bar fight.
Reinhart decides that even though he has been bottle, there is no reason to fight with innocents.
If you decide to calm down the crowd to prevent somebody from getting hurt, read Story Moment 37 on pg47.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:21 pm

We need to calm this angry mob!
Reinhart decides to give another fiery speech (SPEECH 8 check)
Roll of 4 (+ 1 Modifier from the SPEECH skill and a - 1 modifier because Reinhart was hit by a bottle and the crowd has gained confidence…) --> FAILURE

FAILURE: You enrage the incensed patrons… bar fight!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Skirmish with an angry mob.

Strengt of the angry mob: roll of 1 on D6  --> -1 Damage (the patrons are too drunk  pirat )
Everybody chooses Defend: + 10 Defense and -10 Might.

Roll of the angry mob: 55
Everybody is hit and looses 1D4 (-1 Damage) Vita.
Arne: no loss
Nicephorus: -2 Vita
Jerome: -1 Vita
Reinhart: -1 Vita

Arne: roll of 83 - 10 for Defend + 5 "In the Scope" passive skill -> Hit! Because the power of the angry mob was 1, they are defeated.
(Due to the Silver Pendant of Arne, we won the skirmish automatically, but I wanted to try out the skirmish rules.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 pm

The tension leaves as quickly as it escalated; these villagers are scared. It explains their short fuse, but what is more suprising is how defeated they seem once they've calmed down. It's as if they believe no amount of fighting will help.
After peace is restored, a farmer approaches you nervously and says, "Your Priest passed through my land inquiring about the way to Nurain's Hollow. I told him of a shortcut I know. A day later, crazed wolves came down out of those hills, devouring my livestock and attacking my family. We ran here to Ostelink to find help, but everyone's too scared to leave town. If you agree to destroy those wolves, I will tell you of the shortcut."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:48 pm

Choice: Can you spare the time to help? Off course...


You decide to help the farmer with his troubles. Read Story Moment 46 on pg 48.

You realize how much courage that it took for this man to approach and ask for help. He was obviously nervous, but overcame his fear. It shouldn't take too much time to deal with a few wolves, and the farmer promised to tell you of a shortcut which will hopefully make up for time lost.

Skip to "The Farm (chocie two)" on pg 6


The farmer leads you out of town and points in the direction of his fields. "There is my land. I ask you kindly to destroy those wolves."
It is dusk when you reach the farm. The moon hides itself behind a thick layer of clouds, but the stars are bright, allowing you to see well enough. The quiet atmosphere changes as you hear soft growls. Rabid wolves emerge from their hiding places among the tall grass, sniffing the air, their eyes almost seeming to glow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:23 am

COMBAT

Our team wins first strike.
Nicephorus chooses to use a tracking token.

Nicepohorus immediately charges the southern wolf.
Nicephorus rolls 60 + 5 Might modifiers from Bale Hook + 5 Might modifier from character vs 41 Defense --> HIT
Damage 4 +1 from weapon +2 Damage bonus from character + 1 Damage tracking => 8

Jerome charges the middle wolf and rolls a 10 --> Miss
Somebody is in trouble!!!

Reinhart goes to the rescue of Jerome.
Roll 01 --> FAULT --> The Rajput Flying Disc is unusable.

Arne goes to the rescue of Reinhart and Jerome...
Rolls 48 + 5 In the scope (passive) + 4 Might attribute character = 57 --> HIT
Damage 4 + 1 damage modifier crossbow + 2 damage bonus character = 7 wounds

Wolf 1 attacks Nicephorus
Roll 35 - 5 modifier from Dusk difficulty level vs 39 Defense --> MISS

Wolf 2 attacks Jerome
Roll 93 - 5 modifier from Dusk difficulty level vs 36 Defense --> HIT
Take Down The wolf leaps a you and swings its clawed paw. Lose 3 Vita and get PUSHED 1.

Wolf 3 charges Jerome
Roll 91 - 5 modifier from Dusk difficulty level vs 36 Defense --> HIT
Take Down The wolf leaps a you and swings its clawed paw. Lose 3 Vita and get PUSHED 1.


Last edited by Dreekenkorin on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 am

Round 2

Nicephorus shuffles and while attacking the Wolf investigates the scarecrow.
Roll to attack the Wolf: 44 --> 54 --> HIT
Damage: 6 wounds
Roll to investigate the scarecrow: 4 + 2 from ecology = 6 SUCCESS
The scarecrow has fallen off its post. Crows caw at you in mockery.
You restore the scarecrow to its rightfull place. Earn a boon.

Jerome attacks Wolf 2.
Roll: 98 --> HIT
Damage: 7 wounds
Jerome also uses his ability: Skinned alive --> 7 Damage --> Dead
Jerome heals 4 vita to 20.

Reinhart passes Wolf 3 while hitting him.
Roll: 63 --> HIT
Damage: 5

Arne shoots at wolf 3.
Roll: 40 + 4 Might attribute vs 41 Defense --> HIT
Damage: 4

Wolf 1 attacks Nicephorus
Roll 92 --> HIT
Take Down: The wolf leaps a you and swings its clawed paw. Lose 3 Vita and get PUSHED 1.

Wolf 3 attacks Reinhart
Roll 08 --> MISS

Round 3

Nicephorus runs away from the mortally wounded wolf and investigates the well.
Roll 5 --> nothing happens.

Jerome attacks Wolf 1
Roll 41 + 5 attribute --> HIT
Damage: 4

Reinhart attacks Wolf 3
Roll 61 --> HIT
Damage: 5

Arne shoots for the last time at Wolf 3:
Roll 76
Damage: 7 wounds --> Wolf 3 is killed

Wolf 3 attacks Jerome
Roll 27 --> MISS

Nicephorus runs back to Wolf 1 but just falls short.

Jerome tries to hit Wolf 1
Roll 30 --> MISS
Jerome throws his cleaver at the Wolf (-1 Power Point) --> roll 65 --> HIT
Damage 5 --> Wolf 1 is killed

Search the bodies for loot. Nobody finds something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

After the wolves are dealt with, the farmer tells you, "Beyond is a path that will take you to an old burial ground. The mausoleum there houses a long forgotten entrance into the caves of Nurian's Hollow… That is where the priest went." He agrees to show you his shortcut and offers to join you.
The leader gains the Farmer Companion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm

INTO THE HOLLOW

The path heads into an old burial ground. You see the mausoleum that holds the forgotten entrance into Nurian's Hollow. An open grave is to your left. You make your way toward the door to the crypt, hoping to quickly find the entrance into the caves you were told about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:51 am

Start player: Jerome


- Jerome moves forward

- Reinhart investigates the open graves: "Do you notice anything unusual about the graves?"
(Awareness 6 - roll 6 ->success!)

Inside you see a half-desicated corpse whose stomach has been removed and viciously chewed upon. There is a glint of something within the gore. You reach inside, trying not to vomit in disgust. Your hand touches something round and hard. Pulling it carefully out, you discover a pearl ring. Through dry blood, you can see a delicate scrollwork pattern with a detailed filigree. You feel a compulsion to put it on your finger. You cannot resist. (Gain the RED story marker)

- Arne moves forward
-Nicephorus moves forward

End of round: roll of 3: Your skin crawls as you feel tension stirring the air. The dead are restless today.
Encounter 3 Decaying Dead. Place them adjacent to random characters and begin combat.
Roll of 1, 3, 4
A decaying dead in front of Aren, Nicephorus and Jerome :-)
Decaying dead have first strike.
- Jerome DD: roll of 80 HIT --> power: Spontaneous Decomposition: The Decaying Dead explodes in a shower of gore, causing all adjacent characters and foes to lose 1D10 Vita. Remove the Decaying Dead from the map. Roll of 5
- Arne DD: roll of 04 MISS
- Nicephorus DD: roll of 60 --> power: Spontaneous Decomposition. Roll of 6

Start player. Reinhart

- Reinhart:moves to the remainng DD. Roll of 18 MISS.
- Nicephorus: moves to the back of the DD. Roll of 17 MISS
- Arne: Disengages and moves back one space. Turns around and shoots his crossbow. Roll 88 HIT :  Damage 4 + 1 + 2 = 7. 13 remaining.
- Jerome: Roll 83. Damage 2 + 1 + 2 = 5. 8 remaining

End of round: roll of 9. No new DD.

Start player: Nicephorus.

DD rolls 17 MISS

- Nicephorus: Roll of 22 MISS
- Arne: Roll of 61 HIT. Damage 4 + 1 + 2 = 7. 1 remaining
- Jerome: Roll of 41 HIT. Damage 3 --> last DD dies again.
- Reinhart moves to investigate another grave. Roll of 8 SUCCESS. Find an item. Aegean Round.

Everybody gets 30 Lore and 6 coins.

End of round roll 7. No new DD.

Start player: Arne

- Arne moves to the mausoleum entrance.
- Jerome moves to the mausoleum entrance.
- Reinhart reaches the mausoleum entrance and rolls a 6. You hurt your hand while attempting to unlock it. Lose 2 Vita.
- Nicephorus investigate the last upturned gave. Roll of 5 nothing happens.

End of round 8, no new DD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreekenkorin

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2006-11-10

PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:49 am

Start player: Jerome


- Jerome: Moves to the entrance of the Mausoleum.
- Reinhart: Tries to open the Mausoleum again. Roll of 7 SUCCES You are able to unlock the door.

CHAPTER 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: CHAPTER 1   

Back to top Go down
 
CHAPTER 1
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Alien Girl,Shiki - chapter 5
» No new Fairy Tail chapter this week.
» The Arrival Chapter 6: Genesis
» chapter 663
» Chapter 632 and important things to notice

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WHFRP :: Folklore: The Affliction :: Story journal 1: Story 1: Everything changes-
Jump to: